|Vietnam had gone three months without any locally transmitted cases. (Photo by=Reuters)|
[아시아뉴스통신=레악카나 기자] Vietnam has recorded its first Covid-19 fatalities, in a devastating blow for a country proud of its zero deaths.The first man, who was aged 70, was from the central city of Hoi An, state media said on Friday.A second death, of a 61-year-old man, was reported later in the day.There had been no new locally transmitted infections for more than three months, before an outbreak was reported in the nearby resort of Da Nang earlier this week.
Both of the patients who died had underlying health conditions, according to Vietnamese media.
The government initially closed the city to visitors, before ordering a total local lockdown on Wednesday.Earlier this week, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc warned every province and city in the country following the outbreak in Da Nang.
At first, Vietnamese mainstream newspapers cited coronavirus as the main cause of the first man's death. But a moment later, the story was deleted from most of the country's state media websites.
Talking to the BBC Vietnamese Service, Dr Luong Ngoc Khue, vice-director of the Treatment Subcommittee under the National Covid-19 Taskforce, said the person "died of heart attack, kidney cancer, high blood pressure and other severe diseases while positive for coronavirus".
Some speculate that the government found it difficult to announce the first death for fear of public embarrassment.